Advanced Placement (AP) & Dual Enrollment (DE) General Info

For More Specific Information about the AP & Dual Enrollment Opportunities offered at Burke High School please visit the following web pages.

Metro Concurrent Enrollment Information: 



UNO Dual Enrollment Information:

What is UNO Dual Enrollment? Watch this video presentation from UNO

Here is the handout with information for students and their parents/guardians: 



 Deadline for students to apply AND parents/guardians to approve: The application will open January 18th and close February 26th

Application: If a student enrolled in a previous UNO Dual Enrollment course, they may log in again with their username and password (video). Otherwise, students new to the program will need to create an account (video). 

Here are the classes that will be on our Spring 2021 application with UNO:

  • AP Lit
  • AP Bio
  • AP Govt.
  • AP Calc BC
  • AP Physics C: E and M
  • AP Stats
  • Creative Writing I
  • Hon. Nuclear Science
  • Private Pilot Theory
  • Aviation History
  • Hon. Marketing 3-4
  • Hon. Intro to Aeronautics 

Here is a link on the website for Burke High School.

Midland Dual Enrollment Information: 

Questions for Classes that are both AP and Dual-Enrolled

What is Dual Enrollment?

Dual Enrollment allows academically talented students to earn college credit while still in high school. The courses are taught at area high schools by its own staff who have been selected to be adjunct faculty.


Why is this important?

Besides costing less than 1/4 of actual tuition and fees for the same course at the partner institution, Dual Enrollment provides the opportunity to earn college credit with a grade, while still in high school.  High school students can demonstrate to competitive universities and scholarship committees that they have succeeded at a high level in a rigorous, accredited college course. With college credits earned in high school, new college students have more time to pursue college courses for a double major, graduate from college early, or slightly decrease their course-load.


Are there scholarships available to cover fees for dual enrollment classes?

Yes. Please contact your high school guidance representative to see if you qualify for reduced cost Dual Enrollment. **Please apply for the ACE scholarship if you qualify for free/reduced lunch.


Who qualifies to participate in dual enrollment?

Students who are participating in designated courses and have a cumulative high school GPA of 3.0 or above.


Expectation for earning Dual Enrollment credit.

Students must earn a passing grade in the Advanced Placement (AP) class AND take the corresponding AP exam in order to receive Dual Enrollment credit. Students must sign up for the AP exam through their high school using Total Registration.


How is it determined which classes are available for Dual Enrollment credit?

The faculty at the partner university and the staff at the high schools work together to determine which classes meet the academic requirements of the Dual Enrollment Program. Please check with your high school representative for detailed information on eligible classes. 


Which high school grade is posted on the college transcript?

The non-weighted letter grade is posted on the college transcript.


Will the courses I take through Dual Enrollment affect my GPA if I end up attending college at the partner university, or any of it's sister schools?

Yes. Since these are college level courses for which you are receiving credit, the grades will become a part of your cumulative GPA. If you receive a scholarship that has a minimum GPA requirement, Dual Enrollment courses will be included in that GPA calculation.


How will these credits appear on a transcript?

Coursework completed through the Dual Enrollment Program are posted in the same manner as other collegiate coursework showing credit hours and grade earned.


Will Dual Enrollment classes be accepted by the college my high school student plans to attend?

Acceptance of Dual Enrollment credit is completely up to each college or university. When visiting colleges, please ask how they handle Dual Enrollment credit. Course credits are generally accepted by other member colleges and universities and by those accredited by other regional accrediting agencies. Some universities have a general statement that states the university policy on transfer of credit on their website. You may need to acquire a transcript.


How does a student receive Advanced Placement Credit?

Advanced Placement credits are awarded in a high school setting with a College Board approved instructor. When the student successfully completes the course, they are encouraged to register to take the National Advanced Placement Exam given yearly in May. Students will register for the exam at their high school.


How does Advanced Placement Credit work?

The courses offered are Advanced Placement courses through the high school. Once the student completes the course, they can take the National Advanced Placement Exam through their high school.


Why would a student want to take the AP exam if they have already earned dual enrolled college credit?

  1. Colleges feels that a student's performance over the course of a semester or year is more indicative of their subject mastery than an exam taken in one day.
  2. If a student is not absolutely certain of their college of choice, the AP exam provides a safety net, since approximately 8% of institutions will not accept dual enrollment credit but will likely accept a high AP exam test score.
  3. The amount of college credit earned is sometimes dependent on the AP score earned.
  4. **Burke will charge $25 for each AP exam not taken for students who are enrolled in an AP course.

Do students have to go to the college campus?

No. All Dual Enrollment courses are taught by high school staff at your high school as part of the Advanced Placement course. However, as a Dual Enrollment student, you will have expanded access to the college library, with the ability to check out books and utilize far more resources than high school students generally have at their school's library.


How does one request a UNO transcript?

Submit a request online using your assigned NU ID (received in the mail) and password (received via email when you enrolled in the Dual Enrollment Program). Requests submitted online are done by logging into mavlink at: The complete transcript request procedures are available at:


Does the Dual Enrollment application count for regular admission?

No. If a student plans to attend the college after high school, a regular Application for Undergraduate Admission must be completed and the application fee must be paid. 


How does one request their NU ID and/or password if lost?

Please contact the Office of Dual Enrollment at 402-554-3810 for assistance.

Parents' Access to Their Children's Education Records According to FERPA

“When a student reaches the age of 18 or begins attending a postsecondary institution, regardless of age, FERPA rights transfer from the parent to the student.”

This means that only students can request transcripts at postsecondary schools like UNO. The two exceptions: if the student has signed a release of this information and provided a copy to the Records & Registration Office, or if the parents provide a copy of their tax return showing the student is a dependent.


What is the University Policy for Dual Enrollment?

It is the responsibility of each student to register for and drop or withdraw from Dual Enrollment classes in accordance with stated University policies and timelines. If you do not attend classes they will remain on your record and you will owe all fees for them. No staff member at your high school will drop classes for you as they are not authorized to do so. You must take care of it yourself. No exceptions to this will be made. Once a student registers for Dual Enrollment, no part of the Dual Enrollment fee will be refunded.


Five important questions to ask colleges regarding Dual Enrollment credit:

1. Does your institution accept Dual Enrollment credit?

2. If yes, how would you take Dual Enrollment credit from UNO, Midland, or Metropolitan Community College (as applicable)? (i.e. course number and name)

3. If no, what score is needed on the AP exam to receive credit, and what course would it be?

4. Will I be considered a freshman regardless of the number of credits I bring in? (Make sure that you would still be eligible for all freshman scholarships.)

5. Would the credits I bring to college count against the overall length and amount of any scholarships that I might receive?

AP® is a trademark registered by the College Board, which is not affiliated with, and does not endorse, this website.


For more information, please contact:

Primary Contact:
UNO contact:
Kelly Malone and Andy Soper
Midland Contact:
Danika Karin
Metro Contact:
Jordan Pirtle

AP Courses offered at Burke 2020-2021 (33)

AP Capstone



History and Social Science

Math and Computer Science


AP World Languages and Cultures

*Dual Enrolled with UNO
**Dual Enrolled with Midland