Dual-Enrollment Information

UNO Dual Enrollment Information: 


What is UNO Dual Enrollment? Watch this video presentation from UNO

Here is the handout with information for students and their parents/guardians: 

English: https://issuu.com/uno-publications/docs/uno_dual_enrollment_brochure_2020-21/2 

Spanish: https://issuu.com/uno-publications/docs/uno_dual_enrollment_brochure_spanish_2020-21 

 Deadline for student to apply AND parents/guardians to approve will open January 18th and close February 26th. 

Application: The UNO Application for Dual Enrollment can be found online at applydual.unomaha.edu. If a student enrolled in a previous UNO Dual Enrollment course, they may log in again with their username and password (video). Otherwise, students new to the program will need to create an account (video). 

Here are the classes that will be on our Spring 2021 application with UNO:

  • AP Lit
  • AP Bio
  • AP Govt.
  • AP Calc BC
  • AP Physics C: E and M
  • AP Stats
  • Creative Writing I
  • Hon. Nuclear Science
  • Private Pilot Theory
  • Aviation History
  • Hon. Marketing 3-4
  • Hon. Intro to Aeronautics 

Here is a link on the website for Burke High School.


The Midland University application and website is now live at https://www.midlandu.edu/basic-page/dual-enrollment as the application and presentation video are located there. 

The deadline for applications as well as parent signatures is September 30th. We will not be accepting any late applications this year. Make sure that you and your parents complete the necessary steps on time. 

Costs are the same this year: $250 for the course and if your course is AP the cost of the exam is included in the university tuition.

Parents/guardians: It would be helpful to provide your child with your email address so you can have a confirmation email to submit when they apply.


Apply to to Metro CC DE here

Email your application to Jane.Luethge@ops.org and your Burke MCC Teacher

About Dual Enrollment

The Dual Enrollment program is a partnership between Metropolitan Community College (MCC) and our high school districts throughout the greater Omaha area. Dual enrollment allows high school students to earn both high school and college credit at the same time. MCC credits earned may transfer to other college or university which accepts MCC credits.It is the responsibility of the student to verify if the course will transfer to the receiving institution. To learn about transfer-ability at local 4-year colleges, please visit the articulation webpage.

To see how it transfers to a Nebraska College or University visit Transfer Nebraska

Traditional Instruction: Classes are taught
in the individual high school classroom, as scheduled, during the regular school year.

A high school teacher, with a Nebraska teaching certification and a master's degree with 18 hours of graduate coursework in the area of instruction, teaches in the high school classroom using Metropolitan Community College's course outline with approval from the academic area dean.

*To maximize opportunities for students, MCC may offer online courses to high schools with instructors who do not have a Nebraska teaching certification. Check with your high school to see if high school credit may be awarded.

What classes are offered at Burke that are Dual Enrolled with MCC?

Web Design 1-2
H Entrepreneurship
CAD Design 1-2
CAD Design 3-4

H Child Development 1-2
H Child Development 3-4

When do I have to sign up? The deadline is two weeks after the dual enroll application is distributed to your class(es).

What is the cost of MCC's Dual Enrollment program? The cost is $50 per course. This is a flat fee and is the only cost for the course.

What if my family qualifies for Free/Reduced Price Lunch or a similar financial hardship program?

Access College Early (ACE) Scholarships

ACE – ACCESS COLLEGE EARLY SCHOLARSHIP - Student Scholarship Program Act may be able to fund your MCC course, with course numbers of 1000 and higher. Authorized by the Nebraska Legislature in 2007, the Access College Early (ACE) Scholarship Program Act (LB 192) pays tuition and mandatory fees for qualified, low-income high school students to enroll in college courses from Nebraska colleges or universities, either through dual-enrollment or early enrollment agreements with these institutions. High school students may apply for funding under this program by completing the ACE Student Application, which is reviewed by the Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education (CCPE) for award consideration.  https://ecmp.nebraska.gov/CCPE-ACEExternal link

To qualify for the scholarship, the student or student's family must be approved to participate in one of the federal need-based government programs listed or have experienced an extreme hardship that affects family income - Free or Reduced Price Lunch Program, Supplemental Security Income, Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) or Special Supplemental Assistance Program (WIC). The student must provide documentation, from their high school, verifying approval to participate in the program or of the hardship.


For more information about Dual Enrollment through MCC please contact Jeremy Nielsen Lead Teacher/Liaison  - Dual Enrollment & Digital Citizenship at jeremy.nielsen@ops.org or 402.557.2604.

For more information about ACE visit https://ccpe.nebraska.gov/ACE


What is Dual Enrollment?

Dual Enrollment allows academically talented students to earn college credit while still in high school. The courses are taught at area high schools by its own staff who have been selected to be adjunct faculty.


Why is this important?

Besides costing less than 1/4 of actual tuition and fees for the same course at the partner institution, Dual Enrollment provides the opportunity to earn college credit with a grade, while still in high school.  High school students can demonstrate to competitive universities and scholarship committees that they have succeeded at a high level in a rigorous, accredited college course. With college credits earned in high school, new college students have more time to pursue college courses for a double major, graduate from college early, or slightly decrease their course-load.


Are there scholarships available to cover fees for dual enrollment classes?

Yes. Please contact your high school guidance representative to see if you qualify for reduced cost Dual Enrollment. **Please apply for the ACE scholarship if you qualify for free/reduced lunch.


Who qualifies to participate in dual enrollment?

Students who are participating in designated courses and have a cumulative high school GPA of 3.0 or above.


Expectation for earning Dual Enrollment credit.

Students must earn a passing grade in the Advanced Placement (AP) class AND take the corresponding AP exam in order to receive Dual Enrollment credit. Students must sign up for the AP exam through their high school using Total Registration.


How is it determined which classes are available for Dual Enrollment credit?

The faculty at the partner university and the staff at the high schools work together to determine which classes meet the academic requirements of the Dual Enrollment Program. Please check with your high school representative for detailed information on eligible classes. 


Which high school grade is posted on the college transcript?

The non-weighted letter grade is posted on the college transcript.


Will the courses I take through Dual Enrollment affect my GPA if I end up attending college at the partner university, or any of it's sister schools?

Yes. Since these are college level courses for which you are receiving credit, the grades will become a part of your cumulative GPA. If you receive a scholarship that has a minimum GPA requirement, Dual Enrollment courses will be included in that GPA calculation.


How will these credits appear on a transcript?

Coursework completed through the Dual Enrollment Program are posted in the same manner as other collegiate coursework showing credit hours and grade earned.


Will Dual Enrollment classes be accepted by the college my high school student plans to attend?

Acceptance of Dual Enrollment credit is completely up to each college or university. When visiting colleges, please ask how they handle Dual Enrollment credit. Course credits are generally accepted by other member colleges and universities and by those accredited by other regional accrediting agencies. Some universities have a general statement that states the university policy on transfer of credit on their website. You may need to acquire a transcript.


How does a student receive Advanced Placement Credit?

Advanced Placement credits are awarded in a high school setting with a College Board approved instructor. When the student successfully completes the course, they are encouraged to register to take the National Advanced Placement Exam given yearly in May. Students will register for the exam at their high school.


How does Advanced Placement Credit work?

The courses offered are Advanced Placement courses through the high school. Once the student completes the course, they can take the National Advanced Placement Exam through their high school.


Why would a student want to take the AP exam if they have already earned dual enrolled college credit?

  1. Colleges feels that a student's performance over the course of a semester or year is more indicative of their subject mastery than an exam taken in one day.
  2. If a student is not absolutely certain of their college of choice, the AP exam provides a safety net, since approximately 8% of institutions will not accept dual enrollment credit but will likely accept a high AP exam test score.
  3. The amount of college credit earned is sometimes dependent on the AP score earned.
  4. **Burke will charge $25 for each AP exam not taken for students who are enrolled in an AP course.

Do students have to go to the college campus?

No. All Dual Enrollment courses are taught by high school staff at your high school as part of the Advanced Placement course. However, as a Dual Enrollment student, you will have expanded access to the college library, with the ability to check out books and utilize far more resources than high school students generally have at their school's library.


How does one request a UNO transcript?

Submit a request online using your assigned NU ID (received in the mail) and password (received via email when you enrolled in the Dual Enrollment Program). Requests submitted online are done by logging into mavlink at: https://mavlink.unomaha.edu/. The complete transcript request procedures are available at:https://registrar.unomaha.edu/transcripts.php


Does the Dual Enrollment application count for regular admission?

No. If a student plans to attend the college after high school, a regular Application for Undergraduate Admission must be completed and the application fee must be paid. 


How does one request their NU ID and/or password if lost?

Please contact the Office of Dual Enrollment at 402-554-3810 for assistance.

Parents' Access to Their Children's Education Records According to FERPA

“When a student reaches the age of 18 or begins attending a postsecondary institution, regardless of age, FERPA rights transfer from the parent to the student.”

This means that only students can request transcripts at postsecondary schools like UNO. The two exceptions: if the student has signed a release of this information and provided a copy to the Records & Registration Office, or if the parents provide a copy of their tax return showing the student is a dependent.


What is the University Policy for Dual Enrollment?

It is the responsibility of each student to register for and drop or withdraw from Dual Enrollment classes in accordance with stated University policies and timelines. If you do not attend classes they will remain on your record and you will owe all fees for them. No staff member at your high school will drop classes for you as they are not authorized to do so. You must take care of it yourself. No exceptions to this will be made. Once a student registers for Dual Enrollment, no part of the Dual Enrollment fee will be refunded.


Five important questions to ask colleges regarding Dual Enrollment credit:

1. Does your institution accept Dual Enrollment credit?

2. If yes, how would you take Dual Enrollment credit from UNO, Midland, or Metropolitan Community College (as applicable)? (i.e. course number and name)

3. If no, what score is needed on the AP exam to receive credit, and what course would it be?

4. Will I be considered a freshman regardless of the number of credits I bring in? (Make sure that you would still be eligible for all freshman scholarships.)

5. Would the credits I bring to college count against the overall length and amount of any scholarships that I might receive?


Dual Enrollment Registration


    University of Nebraska at Omaha Midland University  Metropolitan Community College

Courses: 23 Courses: 2  Courses: 6 

Deadline: September 30th Deadline: September 30th Deadline: September 7th